Social distancing times have brought trends to stay—for example, people working from home. Many companies have realized they are more productive when employees are at home.
People have found they like the convenience and flexibility this allows. Therefore, more and more people are adopting this trend as the new normal.
Some schools have kept remote learning as a permanent alternative for the students.
As a result, we still share our home space (and for more extended periods) with other household members.
Clutter and lack of systems hit us harder when we are closer under one roof. Thriving under these conditions requires adjustments for most of us. But change can be very positive, depending on how we take it.
I, for one, discovered a new joy in being around my husband and children. We have created a productive and harmonious (very goofy) work environment. And I don’t need to mention how ecstatic our dog is with this at-home arrangement.
But living, working, studying, and playing closer to each other for extended periods may cause previously considered menial details about our space to appear more significant and bother us.
Here are some things that might help us enjoy our new way of co-existing to make the best of the situation.
Keep It Clutter-Free And Clean
- Have a trash can in every room and take out the trash daily.
- Have antibacterial soap or sanitizer on every sink.
- Handle your incoming mail daily, rapidly, and efficiently. The last thing you need is more paper clutter around your home.
- Take 15 minutes at the beginning of each day to put the house in order: Clean the counters, vacuum floors/carpets, and open up shades or curtains to let the sunlight in.
- Gather dirty dishes and utensils inside the dishwasher throughout the day so the counters remain clear. It requires putting away clean containers every night before bedtime or first thing in the morning, so the day starts with an empty dishwasher.
- Get caught up with your laundry as soon as possible. Laundry is often the nemesis of many households. You don’t need the added clutter right now. Read my laundry process blog if this needs to be improved.
Embrace A Positive Attitude
- Make beds daily – this gives you a sense of accomplishment to start your day.
- Get dressed as if you were going to work or school – when you dress up, this shows in your demeanor on the phone and Zoom calls.
Enjoy Family Time
- Go on walks outside with the family – if we are together at home, we can take advantage of that.
- Watch a movie or play board games as a family – welcome back game and movie nights.
- Get to know each other better!
- Develop a system to ensure everyone takes their supplements and medications consistently.
- Grocery shopping needs strategic planning to have what we need while avoiding waste. Although we eat more meals at home, buying more than we need leads to food waste. Have a well-planned system.
- Go to bed and wake up at the usual time every day. Also, keep meal schedules. These two practices allow the body to maintain a routine and feel better.
- Assign spaces for each household member to work or study. These spaces can vary by day, but it is easy to control clutter and have an increased focus if everyone has a space to operate each day.
- Avoid distractions by ensuring your pets are cared for before starting your business or school day. Ensure your pets have adequate food and water, have gone outside (if applicable), and have safe and comfy areas to rest.
- Try listening to Binaural Beats using headphones while you work or study to boost productivity. Binaural Beats in the Beta pattern promote concentration and alertness. Listening to Beta waves helps to increase focus, productivity, critical thinking, decision-making, situational awareness, and memory. Beta waves also help increase energy, sharpen your hearing, and improve overall well-being.
- To take productivity to the next level, combine the binaural beats experience with the diffusion of essential oils that enhance mood and increase brain activity. Young Living Essential Oils are the purest oils you can find. Some oils that improve brain function and affect mood are Vitality, Joy, Awaken, Motivation, Frankincense, Peppermint, Sandalwood, and Lavender.
New trends and practices show us that we can move forward in more productive and efficient ways than we ever thought.